CASE STUDY – Triaging patient phone calls using OhMD’s Virtual Phone Assistant (VPA) to slash phone calls by 50% at this primary care practice.
- Needed to improve scheduling and patient communication methods due to frustrated patients not getting the answers they needed
- Frustration with current reliance on phone calls
- Ineffective waiting due to time spent on back-and-forth phone tag
- Difficulties with leaving messages due to lack of answering machines or voicemail setup
- Triage phone calls through OhMD’s Virtual Phone Assistant tool
- Utilize OhMD’s two-way texting to reduce phone tag and improve patient communication
- A total of 12,600 calls between October 2022 and January of 2023 were accounted for through OhMD’s VPA tool
- ~119 calls rerouted per business day
- 40% of those calls converted to our transcribable voicemail feature + automated text follow up feature
- 10% of those calls converted to a text conversation
Farmington Family Practice’s call volume, much like many other popular family practices, was becoming overwhelming and was impacting the desired patient experience the team was striving to deliver. They needed an easier way to triage phone calls from their patients.
To tackle the ever-growing inbound call pressure, FFP made a game-changing move by adopting OhMD. With OhMD’s Virtual Phone Assistant, they were able to provide callers with non-urgent issues a more convenient option than navigating a phone tree & waiting on hold. With the change, calls that would take minutes were turned into texts that could be read and responded to within seconds. Their patients loved the fact that they received timely responses without having to wait to speak to a staff member over the phone. A true win win!
Farmington Family Practice saw a significant reduction in call volume with OhMD’s ability to triage phone calls. In fact, 50% of inbound calls were handled through OhMD’s Virtual Phone Assistant between October and December of 2022.
From the 6300 calls that were funneled through OhMD, 40% left a voicemail no longer than 50 seconds. This was a dramatic reduction to the 4.5 minute average phone call time they were seeing prior to using OhMD VPA.
This amounts to hours of time saved for both patient and practice over the course of a single day. That time saved has massive impact on patient satisfaction in particular. Studies have shown that longer phone call wait times correlate to patients feeling they have less ability to access urgent care in a timely manner. By giving alternative avenues to connect, patients are not spending as much time on hold. In turn, staff can connect with them asynchronously without picking up the phone which gives them back valuable time to focus more time on patient care and positive outcomes.
OhMD not only helped to save staff time, but it ensured that every single patient caller was accounted for. Farmington Family Practice’s transition to OhMD was a vital step towards providing a seamless and efficient patient experience.
Reduce Phone Call Volume
Want to see results like these at your own practice?
See what OhMD can do for you!